State’s Principal Provider of Business Assistance Heeds Preparedness
Florida SBDC Network Headquarters (Pensacola, Fla.) – The Florida SBDC Network, the state’s designated provider of small business assistance, urges business owners to prepare for the impending threat of Tropical Storm Nate, which is forecasted to make landfall as a Category 1 hurricane this weekend.
“While the storm’s path remains uncertain, business owners should heed Governor Scott’s warning and make necessary preparations now,” said Michael Myhre, CEO and Network State Director of the Florida SBDC. “FEMA research shows that 40 percent of businesses impacted by a disaster, even one as simple as a few inches of rain, never reopen. Preparedness goes a long way in reducing damage and business interruptions later.”
As a principal responder in the state’s Emergency Support Function for Business & Industry, the Florida SBDC Network is a key economic development organization that supports disaster preparedness, recovery and mitigation through its Business Continuation services.
As the storm approaches, the Florida SBDC reminds business owners to make necessary last-minute preparations for the storm’s impact on business operations and employees. The network encourages businesses to ensure they have a business ready records-to-go box that includes important documents and supplies necessary to continue business operations following the storm, including:
- Business continuity, emergency preparedness, and disaster recovery plan
- Emergency contact list of employees and key customers
- Insurance policies and agent information
- List of suppliers and vendors
- Back-up computer systems and data files
- Bank records
Additional Preparedness Resources:
- Agility Recovery, in partnership with the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), has developed a Hurricane Preparedness Checklist to help businesses prepare for a hurricane’s effect. To view the checklist, click here.
- The Florida SBDC at Florida International University (FIU), a member of the Florida SBDC Network, has also prepared a short 25-minute webinar with business preparedness tips. To view the video, please click here.
Business Recovery Resources:
In preparation for Tropical Storm Nate, the Florida SBDC Network Headquarters and Florida SBDC at UWF offices will be closed beginning Saturday through Monday. Normal operations will resume Tuesday, October 10th.
Depending on the scope of impact, Florida SBDC disaster specialists will be available in the affected areas to assist small businesses in applying for state and federal disaster loans and with other post-disaster challenges.
For more information about preparedness and recovery resources and how the Florida SBDC Network can help, please click here.