Fostering Business Growth & Expansion
Watch Access to Capital – A Six-Part Video Series
Seeking capital to grow your business or finance a new business venture and unsure about the most effective path? The Florida SBDC’s Access to Capital Video Series is a collection of six short videos designed to provide you with a fundamental overview of how to obtain the financing your business needs to succeed. Watch these videos to give yourself an edge before attending an in-person training or meeting with a consultant.
- Sources of Financing (12 minutes)
- Business Plan (10 minutes)
- Business Plan Financial Data (13 minutes)
- Debt Financing (8 minutes)
- Preparing a Loan Package (5 minutes)
- What You Need to Know (5 minutes)
How We Can Help
Florida SBDC Capital Access Specialists offer no-cost consulting and low-cost training to help you locate, prepare, and obtain financing. Whether you’re looking for a traditional bank loan, government-backed loan, or a loan provided by an alternative lender, our specialists have the tools, expertise, and resources to help you obtain the financing needed to succeed.
While Florida SBDCs do not loan money or administer grants, our Capital Access Specialists maintain valuable relationships, public and private, with local lenders and understand their lending requirements. These relationships are so productive that lenders often require their business borrowers to work with a Florida SBDC before considering a loan or finance application.
Florida SBDC Capital Access Specialists are professionally certified business consultants, many of whom are former bankers, business owners, and executives with years of experience and advanced business degrees. They’ll provide you with confidential assistance to help guide you through the process of securing the right source of capital, including:
- Uncover available debt coverage and ability to repay a loan
- Assess financing options and opportunities
- Identify appropriate sources of financing
- Develop or refine a quality business plan suitable for lenders
- Conduct an in-depth financial analysis
- Create a professional loan package
- Formulate a comprehensive finance strategy
- Facilitate effective lender relationships
Whether you’re looking for working capital, an equipment loan, financing to purchase property or expand your workforce, a line of credit, or startup capital to get your business off the ground, our credentialed specialists will help qualified and funding-ready businesses find the right source of capital.
Types and Sources of Financing
Below is a sampling of the various types and sources of loans our specialists provide assistance with, including:
Loans / Debt Financing
- Commercial Finance Companies
- Intermediary Lenders
- Banks and Credit Unions
- Conventional Loan
- Line of Credit
- U.S. SBA Loans
Florida-Based Loan Programs
- Microfinance Loan Program
- Microfinance Guarantee Program
- State Small Business Credit Initiative (SSBCI) Programs
- Florida Small Business Emergency Bridge Loan Program
Other Sources of Financing
- Microloan Funds
- Venture Capital
- Angel Investors
How do I get started?
- If you are a new business, visit the New Business section of our website. If you are an existing business, visit the Existing Business section. You must complete the prerequisites prior to receiving individual consulting assistance.
- Once completed, you will complete the online Request for Consulting application that will be forwarded to the Florida SBDC that serves your area.
- Within three business days you will be contacted by the Florida SBDC to get started on your path to success.
Please contact your local Florida SBDC office.
Featured Field Experts
Assistant Director and Consultant
- Areas of Consulting: Budgets, Business and Strategic Plans; Cashflow Management; Financial and Capital Access; Financial Metrics; Women and Minority
- Education: MBA
- Certifications: NDC Certified Economic Development Financial Professional, Certified FastTrac Facilitator with the Kauffman Foundation, Certified Business Communicator; Export & Trade Counseling Certification - Introductory & Intermediate SBA
Consultant/Capital Access Specialist
- Areas of Consulting: Government Contracting, Business and Strategic Plans, Engineering Research and Development, Market and Sales Growht, Start-up, Technology, Women and Minority
- Education: B.S., Physics, Florida A&M University
- Certifications: Certificate for Global Security in International Affairs; Certificate of Business Research and NDC Certified Economic Development Financial Professional
John (Jack) Hopkins
Consultant/Capital Access Specialist
- Areas of Consulting: Budgets, Business accounting, Business plans, Cashflow management cost control, Financial and capital access, Financial metrics, Startup, Cost control, Inventory control, Market/sales growth, Operation manager, Strategic plan
- Education: AS, AA, BBA, and MBA
- Certifications: Profit Mastery, NDC Certified Economic Development Financial Professional
Director, Consultant/Capital Access Specialist
- Areas of Consulting: Budgets, Accounting, Business and Strategic Planning, Cashflow Management, Financial and Capital Access, Growth Acceleration, Startup, Women and Minority
- Education: MBA, APBA
- Certifications: NDC Certified Economic Development Financial Professional
- Experience: 25 Years in Financial Services