Disaster Preparedness for Florida Businesses
Business Disaster Resources: Before the Storm
- www.nhc.noaa.gov – Get the latest information at the National Hurricane Center.
- 850-815-4925 – In the event of a storm the Private Sector Hotline will be activated by the state for business inquiries about the storm, preparedness information, and post-impact information.
- 800-342-3557 – The Florida Emergency Information Line (FEIL) is a toll-free hotline activated at the time of an emergency to provide an additional resource for those in Florida to receive accurate and up-to-date information regarding an emergency or disaster situation impacting the State of Florida.
- www.FloridaDisaster.org – The state’s official source of general and specific information for individuals and businesses from the Florida Division of Emergency Management.
Create a Plan:
- Get A Plan – Get a Plan assists businesses in developing a family and/or business plan utilizing the Florida Division of Emergency Management’s online templates. Utilize the preparedness app FDEM Google Play | iTunes
- Ready.gov/Business – Ready Business assists businesses in developing a preparedness program by providing tools to create a plan that addresses the impact of many hazards.
Prepare a Business Ready “Records-To-Go” Box:
Every business should have a Business Ready “Records-To-Go” box that includes important documents and supplies necessary for business to continue after a disaster. Make sure the box is fire- and
waterproof. Some suggested records include:
- Business Continuity, Emergency Preparedness, and Disaster Recovery Plan
- Emergency contact list of employees and key customers
- Insurance policies and agent information
- List of suppliers and vendors
- Back-up computer systems and data files
- Bank records
For more helpful tips on how businesses can protect their assets, support their employees, and safeguard critical business processes, review our Dare to Prepare Flyer.
Additional Resources to Help Businesses Stay Informed and Prepare:
- Disaster Preparedness for Small Businesses Webinar – The Florida SBDC at Florida International University (FIU), a member of the Florida SBDC Network, has prepared a short 25-minute webinar with business preparedness tips. To view the video, please click here.
- Hurricane Preparedness Checklist – Agility Recovery, in partnership with the U.S. SBA, has developed the Hurricane Preparedness Checklist to help businesses prepare for a hurricane’s effect on your business, employees, and community by highlighting activities you should undertake before, during, and following the event, click here.
- Florida Virtual Business Emergency Operations Center (FLVBEOC) – For a list of preparedness tips before the storm and to register your business, please click here.
- 866-9-NO-SCAM – Attorney General Bondi Activates Price Gouging Hotline.