Business Tools and Research
Florida SBDCs provide access to data and information generally unaffordable or unavailable to existing and aspiring small and medium-sized businesses. Through its affiliations and partnerships with institutions of higher education, our certified professionals utilize high-cost databases, business research resources, and tools, including those listed below, to assist businesses that are poised for growth and ready for our services. Together with our team of support and professional consultants, we put that information to work to help grow businesses.
ReferenceUSA — is a market research database with detailed information on over 14 million U.S. businesses, 262 million U.S. consumers and their lifestyles, and international companies. Map-based geography searches and neighborhood data make this a useful tool in researching target markets and the competition.
IBISWorld – is the largest provider of Industry Research in the US. The comprehensive collection of economic, demographic, and government data reports help identify business operating risks and opportunities across 1,300+ industries. Each industry report includes the most detailed performance data and analysis on the market; procurement analysis; supply chain information; forecasts; operating strengths and weaknesses; analysis of external drivers; major player market strategies; and industry profit and costs benchmarks. IBISWorld has also recently developed a new ‘Specialized’ Industries report collection that extends upon the NAICS collection and includes new and emerging industries that are not necessarily covered in their entirety by NAICS.
BizMiner — provides industry reports that track 9,000 lines of business at local and national levels. This tool also provides access to industry financial ratios and industry market statistics, offering industry financial analysis benchmarks for over 5,000 lines of business and industry market trends on thousands more. Thousands of industry financial analyses are provided for accountants to help their clients establish business goals and benchmarks.
ProfitCents — allows Florida SBDC consultants to benchmark their clients’ financial performance against more than 1,400 industry averages on 60 ratios and metrics and forecast financial decision-making and its results on business performance.
ProfitMastery — offers clients access to the world’s leading business financial management system designed to help businesses improve profitability and cash flow, and to obtain financing.
BidMatch — provides the most comprehensive database of bid opportunities on the market, sophisticated tools available for filtering those bid opportunities, and a Web-based delivery system that brings bid opportunities directly to your clients’ desktops. FSBDC government contracting specialists and consultants can offer qualified clients free access to this resource to identify business opportunities, access solicitations and win more contracts. Clients receive email notifications of bid opportunities for specific products and services from over 1,500 federal, state and local bid-posting sites.
Avention (OneSource) — provides the ability to leverage the world’s most comprehensive set of business information, relate it to the businesses, people and topics you care about, and help you uncover the best insights and opportunities to grow your business and out-compete your competition.
How do I get started?
- If you are a new business, visit the New Business section of our website. If you are an existing business, visit the Existing Business section. You must complete the prerequisites prior to receiving individual consulting assistance.
- Once completed, you will complete the online Request for Consulting application that will be forwarded to the Florida SBDC that serves your area.
- Within three business days you will be contacted by the Florida SBDC to get started on your path to success.
Please contact your local Florida SBDC office.
Featured Field Experts
Growth Acceleration Specialist
- Areas of Consulting: Business and Strategic Planning, Business Valuation, Cash Flow Management, Financial and Capital Access, Engineering Research and Development, Market and Sales Growth, Technology Commercialization
- Education: MBA; PhD Candidate, Entrepreneurship Education, USF; Certificate of Entrepreneurship, Carnegie Mellon
- Business Owner: Investment Management, Software Development, Consulting, Product Development (7 years in business)
International Trade Specialist
- Areas of Consulting: Business and Strategic Planning, Business Valuation, Market and Sales Growth, International Market and Exporting, Cost and Inventory Control, Revenue Generation
- Education: Master of Business Administration, Entrepreneurship and Marketing, Columbia University; Bachelor of Arts, Linguistics, French and Spanish, Swarthmore College
- Business Owner: Tech Accessories Design and Travel Bags (15 years in business)